New Page 1
Helps your caregivers provide you better, easier, safer care
HealthInfoNet is a secure computer system for doctors, hospitals and other
caregivers to share information that can improve your care. HealthInfoNet
combines your key medical information from separate caregivers to create a
single electronic patient health record. This system helps participating
caregivers quickly access the information they need to make more informed
decisions about your care, especially in an emergency. Caregivers already share
patient health records through fax, email, and mail when needed for your care.
HealthInfoNet makes it easier, faster, and more secure.
Includes important information about your health
- Your HealthInfoNet record (your "record") includes medicines
(prescriptions), allergies, lab and test results, image reports, conditions,
diagnoses, or health problems from your participating caregivers.*
- Your record includes your name, birth date, address, sex, phone number,
and social security number (if provided to your caregiver) to make sure your
health information is entered into the correct record.
* Certain mental health, substance abuse, and HIV related health
information is not available in the system. For more information, contact
HealthInfoNet or visit www.hinfonet.org.
Helps caregivers work together, make better decisions and reduce mistakes
Some of the benefits of HealthInfoNet may include better coordination between
caregivers, fewer medical errors, improved patient safety, better patient health
outcomes, fewer repeat tests and procedures, less paperwork, reduced health care
costs, and faster reporting of public health threats to the Maine CDC.
Keeps records private and secure
- HealthInfoNet takes every precaution to keep your records private and
secure. Information is encrypted and sent over a private network not
connected to the Internet.
- Only caregivers see your information in the system, employers, insurance
companies, and government can not. Information that identifies you won't be
sold, and your name won't be added to any mailing list.
- The system keeps track of who views your record, what they look at and
when. You can request a report of this information by filling out the form
www.hinfonet.org/audit or by calling 866-592-4352.
- Of course, no electronic system is completely secure and there is some
risk of unauthorized access or misuse of information.
You can choose not to participate
125 Presumpscot Street, Box 8, Portland, ME 04103 • 866-592-4352 •
- Participation is voluntary. If you feel the risks outweigh the benefits,
you may choose not to participate ("optout"). Your choice to opt-out will
not affect your ability to access medical care.
- If you opt-out, HealthInfoNet removes your health information from the
system and keeps only your demographic information, such as your name and
birth date, to make sure no health information is added.
- Fill out an opt-out form at your participating caregiver's office,
complete it securely online at
optout, or call HealthInfoNet to opt-out by phone or mail.
- If you opt-out, you can later take action to participate again
("opt-in"). Your record will only include information from medical visits
that happen after you opt-in. To optin, contact us, or go online to